Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chloe is officially a fast crawler! She is all over the place and she is very quiet about it. Her favorite place to go is Drake's room. She site in front of the toy organizer and pulls out all the toys. She also loves to help unload the dishwasher, but she only does the silverware and only after I have put the dirty ones in. She has also found the pot and pan cabinets and with Drake's help, they make music by banging the lids onto the pans. It is VERY noisy, but it keeps her out of my hair so that I can cook. Chloe also dances to all kinds of music, including ring tones and commercials. She loves to play with Drake even though he does not like it all the time. They are slowly learning to share with each other. It is more her that doesn't want to share, but she is 10 months old. I am sure she will get it sooner or later:)  She is also too smart for her own good. Yesterday, I washed all the covers to the car seats and one of Drake's needed new elastic sewn on, so I had my machine out for that. I left it plugged in because I thought I was going to get to some other projects. Well, last night Chloe was playing with the cord, so I unplugged it and left it on the floor. She picked up the chord and was trying to plug it back in!!! I think I am going to have a heart attack before she starts walking!

Drake is as busy as ever. He is always outside playing in the dirt and I can't wait until next spring when grass will be growing over his dirt holes and I won't have to sweep and vacuum up dirt all the time. He is loving preschool ans asks all the time if it is time to go. He gets upset when he has to wait to leave. It only takes a few minutes to take him there, so I see no reason to leave at 8:30 when school starts at 9. Drake has been really struggling when Lot leaves for work. He cries and wants to go with Daddy to work and is constantly asking when he is going to be home and wants to go visit him. So, Lot gave him our family picture from a few years ago that Lot kept in his wallet and Lot told him that if he misses Daddy, he should get the picture out and look at it. And he does, some days more than others. He has gone so far as to tell me to look at it when he goes with Lot somewhere so I don't miss him. He also says that if I miss him while he is gone, that I can look at the new pictures of him on the wall.

Lot is also busy with work and we hope that he can find a new job soon that offers better pay and benefits. We had a nephrology appointment for him last week and it went okay. His triglyceride and cholesterol levels were very high, so he has been put on additional medications to counteract that. We also now need to avoid sugars, (too much can cause the triglycerides to spike) and watch the carbs and cholesterol levels in foods. So no more white bread, potatoes, and white rice & pasta for us. His protein levels were down, which is good. That means that his kidneys do not have to work as hard to filter the blood. He has to have more blood work done in a month and we go back for a follow-up in 4 months. I hope that by then, his medications are doing their thing and that we can have all good news.

And as for me, well, I am keeping busy. I try to cook more, but some days it is cereal or grilled cheese for dinner. I am also trying to get going on making things for Christmas, but it is hard to do anything when I have little hands that get in the way or want to help. Chloe is not good at taking naps unless I am holding her the whole time and by the time the kids are in bed, I just want to read or watch a movie. I need to find some motivation and drive. Anyone know where I can find some for free?

I have finally found an awesome peanut butter cookie recipe that stays soft, even if you (meaning me) leave the cookies out all night on a plate...not covered. They were still so soft. They were made better by the fact that I put pumpkin spice and candy corn kisses on top of them. If you have never had these, go to your nearest Target and pick some up. I have not found them anywhere else, so if you do, let me know. I also found some chocolate ones with a caramel apple flavoring in the middle. So yummy! I guess I can share in my good fortune and let all, what 2 or 3 readers, have the recipe too. I have no pictures, so you will just have to use your imaginations.

Candy Kiss Cookies aka Soft Peanut Butter Cookies


1/2 cup butter or shortening, room temp
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 TBSP milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Hershey kiss candies, unwrapped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl, cream butter or shortening and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugars;beating until light and fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat well. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring until well mixed.
Drop by rounded teaspoons onto a baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes (mine took 10) or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let the cookies cool for a few minutes before being removed from pan. Remove from the pan and let the cookies cool for a few more minutes. While still warm, place a kiss in the center of each cookie.

Makes 4 dozen

NOTES: I used a larger cookie scoop and it made 2 dozen. The cookies do not spread out too much. You can place the kisses on the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven, but they melt down pretty far, so if you want the shape to be preserved, make sure they are cooled a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Man, it sounds like my house, at least as far as the project list goes. :-) Maybe we need to have a project day at the church so we can let the kids entertain each other while we get some stuff done! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chloe sounds like my Alexa. If she is you better watch out! Alexa was figuring out how to plug things in about that age. She even figured out how to pull off the outlet covers. She is constantly doing things to scare me, like today she decided instead of sitting to go down the slide at the park, she should hit it at a run and then slide down. She almost went head first over the side of the spiral slide.

    I'll have to try your cookie recipe. PB cookies have been sounding really good.

    ReplyDelete