What a difference a day makes!
We learned today that Medicare will only pay 80% of the costs of the bills so far and in the future. So, 20% of $250,000*/year for a transplant (as well a $60,000*/year for dialysis), well, you can do the math. I already did and I am pretty sick to my stomach. (Just in case you don't want to do the math, that is $50,000/year we have to come up with for a transplant and $12,000 for each year Lot is on dialysis. Plus the $10,000 or so from all the procedures from the last 8 weeks) (I am not sure if prescription costs are included in those insane numbers. Right now, we fully pay for all medications, prescription or over-the-counter)
So, if anyone wants to go buy a powerball ticket, and happens to win the 320 million jackpot, would you be ever so kind to share with us?
It is very discouraging that we have to come up with so much money when we are no bringing in any. There seems no job that Lot or I could do that would allow so much time off (looking at 3-4, possibly more, months that Lot can't work and I will have to take care of him full time).
There are programs out there that can help with the 20%, but it is still very discouraging. I have filled out so much paperwork already that to fill out a work history for the last 10 years plus every expense we have (and proof of those expenses) is very daunting and downright overwhelming at this point.
I have reached the "why us" stage. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing. The amount of money that we have to pay out makes me sick. Even if insurance pays to fix the bathroom, we have to pay the deductible. We also desperately need a new shed and a gate put up across our driveway.
I am just trying to get all of this out, so I do not expect, nor do I really want, these problems solved. I know it will all work out, we have had confirmation of that, but the waiting and not knowing how part is really taking it's toll.
*Cost without insurance. (You can't even talk to a transplant team without insurance, though)
Okay, so I'm confused. What do you mean $250K/year?? How long do you have to pay on the transplant? Holy smokes, chica, I'm sorry. :( Give me a holler if you want someone else to take a turn filling out paperwork!
ReplyDelete