Monday, March 11, 2013

Remember? Update #1

Well, after having an estimate done for the water damage in the bathroom, what it basically boils down to is a new bathroom. We are not sure yet if we are going to file a homeowners claim, although the cost to re-do the bathroom easily passes our deductible. The toilet seems to have stopped leaking, but the valve in the tube is what is causing most of the problems now.

The likely scenario is that the valve in the wall and possibly the pipes, are leaking between the cement backer board and the tile. The moisture sensor doodad (technical term there) got a reading of 20-30 near the shower head, but a reading anywhere from 300-350 near and below that lovely handle up there.

And possibly the shower head. That you can't see:) Except the hose from the shower wand.

What we think the previous owners did was lay the tile first and then placed the vanity on top. I am not sure we will be able to save it after taking all the tile back splash off. All of the base boards also have to come off, but we didn't like those anyway.

Yep, I like PicMonkey and using arrows:)

ALL of the tile in the room has to go.
Why does it all have to go? Well, pretty much under the whole floor is wet and it will never dry (Moisture doodad hovered around 200 near the toilet and tub). As for all the tile in the shower and behind the toilet and the backsplash? It is all the same. The tile in the shower will have to go so that the tub can be taken out and the floor replaced under that. Because there is a very likely chance that the nearby tiles will get ruined in the demo process, and because I have OCD with matching things, it will all go. It will make things easier in the long run.I painted the bathroom last March, but it looks like the bathroom will be getting new paint and texture as well.

Oh, I guess I better also mention that this will take about 2 weeks, possibly more. So, to recap, 2 weeks (or more) without a working shower. It is going to be fast, but I hope we can start during Spring Break so that we can go stay somewhere for a week and not have to worry about getting Drake to and from school. There is still that other week that will throw a wrench into things. Oh, and all of Lot's dialysis supplies, which take up a fair amount of room. We have no other choice but to figure it out when that time comes. And hey, we get a new bathroom that we like out of it. Look on the bright side of things, right?

This process is going to be FUN!*

*In no way was that a serious sentiment. Sarcasm is really hard to convey in a blog. I would actually use a few other choice words, but I am a lady [at least I am trying to make you think I am:)]

2 comments:

  1. My brothers can do most of that work. Let me know when and what you need done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction there will be fun.....hitting smashing throwing things away that will be fun. All the rest not so much

    ReplyDelete