Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Layered Raspberry Dessert

I forgot to take a picture before we ate it, and this is what is left.......nothing:)
I got this recipe from my mom when I was going through her Lion House cookbook. So here is the recipe with my changes to it.

Layered Raspberry Dessert

Graham cracker crust + additional, whole graham crackers
1 (3oz) pkg vanilla instant pudding
1 3/4 cups milk
1 cup whipped cream
Raspberry pie filling 

Make your graham cracker crust and press into the bottom of a 9x9 pan and cook for about 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool. Prepare the pudding with the 1 3/4 cups of milk. Let stand for 5 minutes, then add the whipped cream.

Spread 1/2 the pudding over the cooled crust. Add a layer of graham crackers, breaking where necessary. Top with the remaining pudding and more crackers. Spread the pie filling over the top layer of crackers.

Chill for 3 hours.

*My Notes: The original recipe has you layer the whole graham crackers on the bottom. While it was good, and fast, it was soggy before we even had the first piece. I think it would hold up better with the crust (1/2 pkg crushed crackers, 1/4 cup melted butter, 3 TBSP sugar, mixed together)

I also thought that  the pudding was too runny using the full 2 cups of milk. I think it would even be fine with 1 1/2 cups of milk.

I made my own raspberry pie filling with raspberry danish dessert (found near the puddings) and frozen raspberries. It was much cheaper, $1.80 for the danish dessert vs $4 for a can of raspberry pie filling. I can't wait until we can have fresh raspberries to put in this.

I think chocolate or banana cream pudding would be really good to.

And to end this post, here are the best pictures I could get of Chloe's face after she had the last of it for breakfast:
She always closes her eyes when I take pictures of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment