Saturday, July 16, 2011

Floor Cushions


A few weeks ago, we bought a beach ball from the dollar store for the kids to play with in their pool. They liked it so much that Drake asked if they could have it in their bath that night. Of course the answer was no. The ball is about 18 inches in diameter, so too large to be in the tub with them. Anyway, as of late, Drake has been using the ball for a seat when he is watching a movie. Despite the ball only costing a dollar, I did not want him to pop it while sitting on it. It is bad enough that it doesn't hold air very well anymore. I remembered a tutorial for a floor cushion that I saw on Living with Punks and decided to make one for both kids, because let's face it, Chloe has to do everything and have everything that Drake does.

So off we go to Joann's with 50% off coupons and high hopes. I bought 2, 32 ounce packages of the poly fill to fill them with. Since I already had cording for another project (that is still in my head), I made my own piping instead of buying any. (it is really easy to do, just make sure that you have a zipper foot before attempting it)

Well, Joann's disappointed us in the home decorator fabric department. I didn't like the selection or the prices. Even with a coupon, the fabric would have been around $20 (at least, most were more) a yard for 1 cushion. TOO MUCH! So we backtracked to Home Fabrics. And I am soooooooo glad we did. Even if they would not have had the princess and toy story fabric, there were many other very cute options to choose from. I was just going to make 2 toy story cushions, but then we saw the princess fabric. Oh, and it was only $5.99 a yard. So I spent just over $20 for 2 cushions, for everything.  And the kids? Well, they LOVE them!




Chloe enjoyed the little photo shoot, but Drake ran off before I could get even 1 picture of him on his floor cushion.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE! These have been on my to-do list for quite awhile now, and I just saw some funky triangular ones the other day. I've never even tried Home Fabrics...what a great idea! I found some cheap home decor fabric at Hancock the other day and wondered why I'm always so quick to go to JoAnn's?

    They look fantastic! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete