Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Updates

It has been kinda quiet around here for the last little bit, but that is also because we were not able to be in our home for over a week due to bathroom renovations. I have been slow to get back on the computer and check anything.

The bathroom is coming along, I would post some pictures, but I can't find the memory card converter. Just imagine that a tub in is, sheet rock is up and taped and a fan in on the floor, drying the mud so that texture can be applied tonight. Oh, and a floor is in, but covered with paper so that is does not get too dirty. It looks like wood, but is a very thick vinyl product that is used commercially. We lucked out when we bought it. We really liked the look of this one, but learned that it should not have been put where it was, because it is a commercial product. After some checking, the vinyl was left over from a job. We were given an awesome price for it and because there were some scuffs on it (probably dirt, they are gone now) we were given a little more. We have enough in fact, to do the laundry room floor as well. The best part of  the floor, other than the price, is that even though it looks like wood, it is completely smooth, so it will be very easy to clean.

We will be painting tomorrow and Friday and then we can start to move things back in. We had to order a vanity, but that should be here by the 19th (Lot's birthday!). Everything else is sitting in the sewing room or waiting to be picked up. And that is that for a bathroom update.

Now for the kidney side of the update.

Lot has been doing much better sleeping through the dialysis. He has had a few low drain volume alarms that I have had to wake him up for. All he has to do is roll over so that the catheter can finish sucking out the dialysate. He usually goes right back to sleep.

One thing that Lot has really struggled with is the arthritis flair ups. He was taken off Humira back in January and that controlled the psoriasis and the psoriatic rheumatoid arthritis. His knees and ankles have been bothering him so much that he has a hard time walking and can only stand for short periods of time. We have seen his dermatologist and he is working with the nephrologists get him on something that will not hurt the kidneys nor be taken out with the dialysis. We are just waiting to hear what is decided. We should know by Thursday afternoon. Lot is also going to see an orthopedist about his knee. His knee has been really swollen, just like it was in January when all of this started. At that time, the swelling went down with dialysis and Lot was on Humira. He is still doing dialysis every night, but is not taking anything for the arthritis.

Because of the weight restrictions and because Lot is not able to stand for long periods, he is not able to work. He has applied, and was accepted for disability, but it does not go into effect until August and even then, it is not quite enough to pay the bills. So, I am trying to find something that I can do that still allows me to be home, because I am the primary caregiver, but also pays a decent wage to cover the rest of the bills and various other expenses that come up with kids. A tall order, I know, but I will find something. I am not cut out for a phone job. I tried that right out of high school and it is not for me. I have thought about making and selling stuffed animals, but I have not idea what to charge and if there is even a market for them.

As you can imagine, Lot has a ton of down time. He has contemplated going back to school, but does not know what he should major in that would still be relevant and pay a living wage when he graduates.

We are watching the mail for that packet of papers from InterMountain Medical Center in Murray so that we can start the transplant process.

Oh, one last update, that has nothing to do with kidney's, bathrooms, or jobs. Remember when we planted grass last year? Well, it is still coming up! (A lot of rocks appeared as well, and as soon as the wind dies down and the sun decides to warm us up a little bit, I will be out there raking them up.) There is one bigger area that already needs to be mowed, so much grass took root. More will need to be planted to fill in a few spots. but it is looking good! I can't wait until all the dirt is done and we have all grass. It is going to be so nice:)

No comments:

Post a Comment