I have struggled with writing this post. I have been running it through my head for the last week, but it is something that needs to be addressed.
Scores of people have asked what we need and if we need anything at all, to call and let them know. We are doing fairly well, to be honest. We really are. I have cried buckets of tears as has Lot, although I think I have a few more buckets than him. The kids are adjusting ok. Konnor is a trooper and doesn't care who is with. He cuddles with us more and likes to be near us. Drake and Chloe have had some defiance issues and I expected that. They are getting shuffled to many houses and not getting the attention that they deserve. Lot is under a weight restriction until all the incisions heal, so he can't even pick up Konnor, let alone the other 2. Once he is healed, he still will not be able to lift more than about 40 pounds. We have a freezer that is quickly filling up with food that is fast, easy, and some that I can put in the crock pot before a treatment.
One thing that is not needed, is more information on getting financial aid for the doctor bills and kidney disease info. We are overwhelmed as it is with the information that has been given to us by the doctors and nurses. We have been asking questions about diet changes and the nurses and dietician are hesitant to give us more than a page or 2. We have a ton of information to look at and learn and they do not want to overwhelm us. We have a whole lesson on diet changes. So please, do not send us info. We do not have time or the energy to sit down and read it. We really don't. Our time is better spent listening to the doctors and nurses, taking care of our 3 kids, coordinating child care, dialysis treatments, keeping the house somewhat clean, and sleeping. Please do not be offended by this, as we do not mean any offense.
So, what are our needs? Well, there are 2 big ones. The first one is childcare. Lot is starting the training on the dialysis equipment on Wednesday. I need/want to learn how to do it as well, so I need to be there the whole time. The treatments are 6 hours and 40 minutes long, plus the time it takes to set up and take down, almost another hour at first. We have quite a few people that are going to be watching the kids the whole time we are gone. There are still a few open spots, though.
Our second, almost more pressing need is financial. Lot is not able to work through all of this and since I stay at home with the kids, we have no income at the moment. There are people that are helping us get through it, but the less burden we put on them, the better. I don't want to be a burden to them, although I know they will say that they aren't and that they are happy to help. And we really appreciate that, more than we could ever express.
***Update (2:50pm) Lot's employer will be able to pay Lot for the next month, so 2 paychecks. Beyond that, he is not sure. Lot might be able to go back to work by then, so we will be doing okay.***
So, on that train of thought, there is a donation account set up for Lot at East Idaho Credit Union. You can go in and tell them the donation is for Lot Adams. There is also a wepay page set up. You need to have a PayPal account to send money that way. There is also a fundraiser on the 23rd of February from 5-8 at Dora Erickson Elementary in Idaho Falls. Is is a potato bar, silent auction and a small carnival for the kids. I have been told that ALL of the money raised will be for Lot. No money is going to be taken out to pay for things for the fundraiser. All of the things associated with that are being donated.
Please continue to keep us in your prayers. Some way, we WILL get through this. I am looking forward to that love boat ride. This roller coaster is making me sick:)
Hang in there Alayna, and don't feel bad about asking for help! There are a lot of people just clamoring to know what they can do! And yes, ALL of the proceeds from the fundraiser are going to help your family. We have now received donations for the entire meal. We are working on donations for the carnival games, and the silent auction items are all donated. We have received a tremendous amount of support for this. And, there is even a possibility that we will have massage therapists at the dinner, offering massages with all proceeds being donated! How fantastic would that be? Once again, hang in there, and you know where to find me if you need something specific! :-)
ReplyDelete