Today, Lot had his 3rd dialysis treatment and it has been the best one so far. There was not a whole lot of pulling by the catheter as it sucked all the fluid out of him. They are starting really small with 750mL every hour and 6 minutes. It takes 5-7 minutes for the machine to pull it all back out. Once Lot has healed from the surgery, he will gradually be taken up to 2500mL in about the same time frame. We have started to be trained on how to use the machines and will step into full training mode next week. I will not have to be there as much, and neither will he.
I think the worse part about today was that because it is the 1st of the month, it is mandatory for all dialysis patients to have their blood drawn in the next 3 days to check all the things that need to be checked. Lot is limited to a liter and a half of fluids a day, so not very much for him at all. Because of this, he is a little dehydrated and since he now has a normal blood pressure, he is also cold all time {I told him he would get used to it, I have:)} and this caused his veins to shrink a little bit and be difficult. They were not able to get enough blood drawn, so we will try again on Monday. I sure hope they can get in on Monday because they won't be able to on Tuesday because he only has to go 3 days a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He will go in Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for 6 hours and 40 minutes each time. So we should be out of there and on our way home around 4 each day. It may get longer as they have us go through the whole process, but for now we don't do have to stay. Lot's awesome PD (peritoneum dialysis) nurse does it for us.
We talked a little bit more to the dietician about what he can and can't eat. His potassium has been high, so bananas, potatoes, and tomatoes are the definite no no's. When his labs come back from the blood draw on Monday, they will know more of what he should be getting. In general though, it is low potassium, salt and phosphorus and a high protein diet. They do not anticipate too many drastic changes, but everything in moderation. He needs to stay away from processed foods and most fast foods, especially if they are fried or are high in salt. It should not be too hard to incorporate the changes for all of us.
In other good news today, as if the 3 days a week dialysis was not enough, a new freezer was dropped off and set up in our dining room this evening! It is going to hold the 30 freezer meals that are being made for us! I am without words as to how grateful we are to awesome friends and family right now! Let's see, that is 3 exclamation points in 3 sentences, want to make it four? Hi! Sorry, I can't think of anything else to write with an exclamation point:)
As you can tell, we are in much better spirits and I don't think I even have anything to say to make anyone cry tonight reading this. But let's see if I can:)
We are continually amazed at all the people that want to help. There is a potato bar/silent auction/kids carnival being planned for the 23rd of this month to help with the transplant and medical bills that will start to come in soon. There is also an account set up where you can donate online and a newly formed bank account where donations can also be sent. The reason I am saying this is that we never asked for this stuff to happen. We have very special friends who have very busy lives who have taken it upon themselves to do this for us. I know that they would say that we would do the same for them, and we would, but to be on the receiving end of so much love is mind boggling. I have stopped looking at the facebook page that is the central hub for donations and information about the fundraiser. It makes me cry every time. I was looking at it the other day and crying and Drake asked why I was sad. I was not sad, I told him, I am crying because I am happy. So many people want to help us and are finding every way they can to do so.
We may not be in the best situation right now, but we are where we are supposed to be and people have been placed into our lives in a way that they can best help us. I only hope that one day we can pay it forward. One day, we WILL.
(Okay, how did I do? Are you crying yet?)
yes!
ReplyDeleteYes, yes I am.
ReplyDelete