Sunday, February 27, 2011

Homemade Poptarts

I made these the other day and we really liked them. I made them just like the recipe called for, but some changes needed to be made for next time. The full recipe will be at the bottom if you just want to skip the how-to pictures. I don't mind. Go ahead. It  really is okay, I promise:)

Mix together 3 1/2 cups flour (original called all for whole wheat. I found it hard to roll out and a little gritty because the wheat I used was not ground fine), 1/2 tsp salt, 1 cup unsalted, melted butter, and 1 cup plain yogurt. I have absolutely no use for any leftover plain yogurt, so I used vanilla.

It got hard to mix by hand, so I dumped the dough in my kitchenaid and went to town. Or rather, the mixer did. I just made sure the bowl was not going to go anywhere and flipped the switch. I am lazy and would much rather have my kitchen appliances do the work for me. I am good at pushing buttons and flipping switches. Anyway, this is what the dough looked like after it was done mixing.

It looked a little dry, but was still able to hold together when kneaded. Looking back, my yogurt container was only 6 oz, which, without measuring it, is probably around a 1/2 cup. You need a full cup. So if you want to use yogurt, use 2, 6oz containers. It was also mentioned that you can use milk instead of yogurt. I have another vanilla yogurt in the back of the fridge and might try this again tomorrow, but add enough milk to make 1 cup.

After you mad handle the dough into a ball, you can roll it out. I think it needs to be rather thin. Not as thin as tortilla shells, but not as thick as sugar cookies. Also, use a pizza cutter, not a knife. It is SO much easier! We use our pizza cutter for cutting up french toast and pancakes and waffles for the kids. I think we use that thing more for other things than we do for pizza. It also works great for hot dogs. Make sure to flour the surface before you roll it out.

You can made these however big or small you want. I went for the traditional size of pop tarts. If these look like squares that's because your grocery store must not sell the "special" square pop tarts:)

Spoon on whatever jam or jelly flavor you want. We only have strawberry freezer jam that my mom made (thanks mom!). It also happens to be the only jam that my kids eat. If you have little kids, you are bound to have a ton of these little spoons around. They work awesome for this! Just the right size.

Make sure that you leave half of the dough without jam/jelly on it. I would guess that I put a heaping spoonful and then some of jam on these. But I have been known to just eat a spoonful of this jam, so I loaded as much on there as I thought would fit.

Spread the jam to within a 1/2 inch or so of the edges.

Take a fork (unless you own one of those fancy pants crimper thingy's) and crimp the edges together.

Make sure you go all the way around, not just one side, like here. But if you like to scrub pans with baked on sugar on them, go ahead and leave them. I picked up the edges and pinched them together with my fingers first to make sure that all the jam stayed on the inside. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges.

Aren't they so pretty?


Homemade Pop Tarts
makes about a dozen
 
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
jam and/or jelly flavor of your choise

Mix the flour, salt, butter and yogurt together well.
Dump the dough on a floured surface and knead together until smooth.
Roll out thin (1/4 inch?) and cut into desired size/shape (I think using some larger cookie cutters would be cute for the kids)
Place about a tablespoon of jam onto 1/2 of the slices. (Remember, the amount all depends on how much you like on there and the size of the poptarts). Spread the jam out with the back of the spoon to within a 1/2 inch of the edges. Place remaining slices on top of jammed ones, and crimp the edges well.
Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and cookie for 25 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the edges are lightly browned.

Notes: You can use all whole wheat, 1/2 wheat, half white, or all white. It is up to you. I think the tops need to be brushed with a beaten egg and sprinkled with sanding sugar or regular granulated sugar. The dough by itself is a little bland.  A little sugar, maybe a couple of Tablespoons, in the dough would help. These would also be good with frosting. Just use the standard shiny icing recipe that I used on my sugar cookies. (Scroll to the bottom of the post for the recipe). These were good warmed up in the microwave the next day. They should also hold up to being toasted. The pop tarts also freeze well. Just bake like normal and cool completely before you put them in the freezer. I don't think they would stay good for more than a few days without freezing them. So if you want to make a bunch of them, freeze any leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment