Friday, February 4, 2011

Zebra Clock

I decided that I was tired of the boring clock we had in our dining room, so I changed it. It doesn't match the room, but I haven't decided what to do with the room, anyway.


This is the before. Just a cheap clock from Walmart that we have had since we were married.

Take the clock apart.

I picked out some fabric I liked from my stash.

Ironed the wrinkles out.

Traced the paper clock face onto the backside of the zebra print.

Cut out said zebra print.

To get the hole right for the mechanism to go back in, I traced it and then folded it in quarters and cut that way.

Sorry, this is sideways. I measured the green fabric to fit in the cricut and ironed on heavy heat n bond to the back. I then cut out the numbers with the cricut. This took some trial and error as the blade did not want to cut the twos and the five.

I then placed the numbers where I wanted them and ironed them on. Oh! After cutting the zebra print out. I just used a glue stick to stick it to the face.

Because I used the zebra print, the black on the hands was not very visible. I sanded them and then painted them a green that was similar to the green numbers.

Here they are painted.

This was the finished product until I decided that there needed to be more green.

I taped off the outer ring and painted it the same green as the hands. 
And here is the finished clock that I can't hang up because Drake wanted to help paint the hands and broke the hour hand. I have tried to glue it, but it doesn't stay and also causes the hands to stick. I like it anyway:)

2 comments:

  1. That is way cute!! I have wondered about cutting fabric with the cricut. Can you tell me what settings you used to cut it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Love the colors - green w/zebra! Too bad about the hour hand, but you can always get another set @ HobLob or Michael's, I believe.

    Hope you'll drop by this weekend and share this at Passion for Paint!

    ReplyDelete