Sunday, February 20, 2011

Peanut Butter Swirl Bars

The the recipe today was going to be a potato and cheese soup. I got up too late this morning to start it before church, so we were going to make it for dinner instead. It is now 6:30 and the only thing I have made are these babies:

Peanut Butter Swirl Bars! And they are soooooo yummy! As an added bonus, the house smells so good right now. I couldn't decide between these and chocolate chip crunch cookies (a basic choco chip cookie with corn flakes or rice krispies). Lot said the bars sound good, so that is what I made. As an added bonus, I get the taste and smell of cookies without the work of scooping out 3-4 dozen cookies and then letting them cool and then having to wash 2 cookie sheets. I know I have a dishwasher, but it only fits 1, so one (or more) sheet(s) are left out until the next load. Which drives me crazy, so I end up hand washing the stupid thing. I know, stupid, especially if you can see the state of my house some days. You would think that I never clean and do laundry or dishes, or get dressed for that matter.

It is like Hurricane Chloe and Drake hit the house. 

Ooo, funny story. When we were living in Pocatello, there were days that I really did not feel like cleaning, so before I would go to bed, I would put up a sign on the garage door for Lot that said: 'CAUTION! HURRICANE DRAKE HIT WHILE YOU WERE GONE. TREAD CAREFULLY AND WATCH FOR FALLING TOYS!' Those were the nights that Lot had to work late, so I was in bed long before he would get home. 

Not a funny story?

Well, fine. I thought it was funny and it is my blog, so what I say goes right?

Right?

Sorry. I digress. On to the recipe, with some more pictures. Just for you.


Peanut Butter Swirl Bars
1/2 cup peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, I used smooth) [More peanut butter is always better; I don't think I have ever measured the stuff. Yep. That looks like a 1/2 cup, although it is always more ;)]
1/3 cup butter (I prefer unsalted)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tap salt
1 cup chocolate chips (or more if you like, but not the whole bag. You are supposed to taste the peanut butter, after all)

1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 13x9 pan.

2.Cream the peanut butter, butter, and sugars.

3. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix well.

4. Add the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.

5. Spread into the greased 13x9.

6. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.

7. Place in oven for 5 minutes.

8. Remove from oven and swirl the chips into the peanut butter mixture.

9. Bake for 25-30 (mine took 30) more minutes.

10. Cool and cut into bars.

These would be even better with caramel and some sliced almonds.............................................I have some caramel! Dang it! Next time, because you know there will be a next time. I just might have to make some more when the kids go to bed, oh, and Lot too. Don't want them to know that I made another batch and ate the whole thing. 

And one more picture for your viewing pleasure:


Don't you wish your screen has smell-o-vision? No? Well you should, because these smell divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment