Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ironing boards and curtains

The cover for my ironing board was getting really gross:

This is even after I washed it. Burn marks everywhere.
So I decided to make a new one. The material that I wanted to use, I just barely did not have enough, so by default, it is this material:


I laid out the gross cover onto the new material and just followed all the way around and cut it out. I was too lazy to sew a casing for new elastic, so I just sewed some on in a x on the wider part of the ironing board and 2 smaller pieces of elastic in the middle and the small end. It is not a perfect fit by any means, but it works and looks SO much better!


I also redid the curtains in the kids' room. It was one of those reed-like roll-up blind thingy's. It worked, but at night, if there is a light on, you can see right into the room. I did not like that! I hung a piece of material up, that I bought to hide our water heater. It was just up there with safety pins and tucked into the blind. I wanted more light in there, so I changed the curtains. I wanted something that would let the light in, but that you can't see right through. All of my white material was too small, so I used a multi-colored stripe and dot fabric for the first layer:


To help keep the cold air out and the heat in, I just hung up 2 pieces of fleece that my mom gave to me, (thanks mom!) that I have not decided what to do with yet. I used bigger hooks and an extra pole that came with our double rod in the dining room. I screwed the hooks into the top of the window frame and shoved the pole onto the hooks. The fabric hides everything, so I don't care what it looks like:

A shower rod is holding the striped layer up. I figured that since you can't see it, it doesn't matter what I use. The kids don't care, anyway. A shower rod is better because if the curtains happen to get pulled on and fall down, the shower rod is not going to bend like a tension rod will. The dot fabric is at the top.



And here they are closed. Until we can find a good priced Toy Story curtain, this will work and lets in so much more light than the previous curtains. (Sorry no before picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment