Saturday, January 1, 2011

So, I didn't die...

but I wanted to.

This denim blanket was going to be the death of me!

First, my scissors got dull cutting all the jeans, so I had to go buy a new pair because it takes 2-3 days minimum, for any store around here to sharpen scissors. Then the blocks did not match up after I sewed them all together. Next, because Joann's is moving to a bigger building on March 11th, they are not getting any new merchandise it. This is a problem because they do not have any solid color flannel, only nursery prints (I did not think that Lot would like a blanket with a baby animal print on the back). So I found a light brown moleskin that was on clearance. I got all 8 yards left on the bolt. It is soft, but very stretchy.

When I put the blanket together and got it on the quilting frame, the fabric stretched quite a bit and is not center with the top. Oh, and denim and the moleskin are very hard to get a needle and yarn through. I had to cut up one of my rubber discs that I use to open jars to pull the needle through. My forefinger and thumb sill hurt. It took 2 days to tie the quilt, but I got it done. I finished binding it today, slipping, sliding material and all, and got it on the bed. It is not as big as I was planning on, due to the inconsistency with which I cut, apparently. But it is DONE!!!. It doesn't really look to bad, either, as long as you don't look to closely at it. Here are a couple of pictures of the process.

As you can see, I had to move the table against the wall. This thing took up the whole room. I had finished 3 rows at this point.

Drake picked out a soft gray yarn to use.
Here is the church bag that I also finished today. I used Simplicity pattern #2396.
It is loaded and ready to go for 9am church tomorrow.


5 comments:

  1. Nice! I don't think denim quilts are supposed to be perfect...they need character! Just like the new trend for jeans to have holes all over. :-) I think it looks great...And you know, you COULD call some of your crafty neighbors for help when you have a quilt on the frame. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have called, but there was only room for one person. That thing took up the whole room. Oh well. I guess I know who to call when I do Chloe's rag quilt;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your demin quilt is very impressive. I love the way it looks and it is going to be fabulous when it is done. Love your new bag as well!! You are very crafty!!

    Have a wonderful day!
    Maridith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you do know who to call! :-) And we can always set up frames at the church...there are several over there even.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a denim quilt that I started in high school. 15 years later...it's still not done.

    ReplyDelete